Advertisements
Home > Uncategorized > Top Sites Tuesday – Two Thoughts on Tuesday

Top Sites Tuesday – Two Thoughts on Tuesday

January 26, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

Hmmm… It’s Top Sites Tuesday time again! So, what’s on my mind this tuesday… hmmm… amazing how the mind empties pretty fast when you’re forcing it to be creative!

Thought #1: Where do books go to die? Now that’s a whimsical thought! Books that I’ve read and loved live on forever in me – I’ve even been known to re-read them every once in a while. But what about the books that I couldn’t bring myself to finish? I was just going through my library, and I realized that I basically have a graveyard of sorts. These are books that I bought for one reason or another – the author was familiar to me, the blurb on the back of the book sounded interesting, the cover looked good, it was recommended to me – but after reading a couple of chapters, it becomes clear to me that the book is so bad that it’s better to cut my losses and not waste any more time.

For example, Piers Anthony’s ‘Jumper Cable‘ ended up in my library simply because I remember reading his Xanth series once upon a time and actually enjoying them. Well, a couple of chapters in and I knew that the whole book was a load of trash and seemed to be written by a sexually-frustrated 14-year-old-boy for other sexually-frustrated 14-year-olds (with apologies to 14-year-olds everywhere). What do you do with a book like that? I can’t read it, I can’t give it away (my friends might question our friendship moving forward), I can’t sell it (I have too much respect for other book lovers)… so it just lies around gathering dust. And I’ve got a couple of these paper-weights lying around… Maybe it’s time for me to get rid of the book graveyard and have a big old bonfire???

Thought #2: In a world of digital music, what does everyone do with the piles of CDs we have collected all our lives?

And I’m not talking about that Beatles or Queen collectors edition that you would only part with on threat of death – but just that odd CD or two that you bought because they were the trend or you just liked maybe two songs off the whole album or it was given as a gift so there’s some sentimental value to it – some may even be beloved albums when you were like thirteen, but haven’t listened to a note since high school. And somehow, these just multiplied and before you know it… it’s a big old graveyard of CDs that are basically space-occupying lesions. And no one else will want them too. It’s easy enough to just put everything in storage… and just forget about them. So, yeah, basically, I just pray that my parents won’t be needing the space in the near future… Or maybe I should just throw them all away in the trash???

Come Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!

The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments
View More Top Sites Tuesday Participants on Technorati here.
See who Tweeted this Post!

Advertisements
  1. January 27, 2010 at 12:51 am

Just wonderful, I loved this post. When you figure out what to do with books you will never read and old CD’S let me know! LOL! I have allot of them too.

Here’s your click …..

Love and Blessings,
    AngelBaby

• January 27, 2010 at 7:57 am

It’s amazing how much baggage we collect, don’t we?

2. January 27, 2010 at 3:38 am

Nice post.

We donate our old books to the public library … no one goes through them when you’re there, and if they decide not to shelve them or sell them in their bargain rack, what to do with them becomes their problem.

I chuckled when you were talking about old CDs. I have four boxes of old 33 rpm vinyl records, as well as several hundred CDs. I have even more trouble letting go of music than I do books. Can I throw away the soundtrack to my life? I’ve been digitizing the better LPs to mp3s but it’s very time consuming.

Here’s your click.

Bud aka Older Eyes

• January 27, 2010 at 7:59 am

Yeah, that’s it exactly – how to throw away the soundtrack of your life! It’s like one or two songs off each album that means something to you, but the rest is just trash…

3. January 27, 2010 at 4:09 am

I think we all have too much ‘stuff’…I know I have!! I don’t think I could burn or trash any of them though…even books/CDs that I don’t particularly like! And this is my dilemma as well if I do choose to downsize!

eBay is just too long winded for so many items, car boot sales are full of people who want something for nothing so I’ll probably end up giving mine to the nearest Charity shop. Unless we all catalogue everything between us and open a virtual store!

Anyway, great post & here’s your click!

Cheers,
    Pete

• January 27, 2010 at 8:00 am

That’s my new year’s resolution – downsizing is the man for me right now!

4. January 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

Hmmm…I think what happens depends on whether you ask a pack-rat or someone who’s not. For me, I can’t let books “die”. I keep my favorites out where I can see them and pick them up again. Others get divided between my two kids. And the others I keep in boxes and dig them out at least once a year. I don’t know why…I don’t re-read them. I just loved to see them again and remember reading them. Maybe I’m just strange.

My CDs stay in a zippered case now and all those bulky plastic cases they came in went in the dumpster years ago. I ripped most of my CDs so I just listen to them on the computer or play MP3 mixes on our home stereo. But I keep the CDs in case some unfortunate accident takes the life of my computer. LOL!

• January 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

Well, the good books are forever, I agree. But I do have white elephants taking up space in my library…

The thing about the CD cases is that part of their appeal was the cover art! That’s mostly why I hadn’t thrown them all away – some sentimental value there… And yeah, so scared about hard drive failures!!!

5. January 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

I keep everything…lol I am a mess when it comes to this stuff!
    Trina and I had a books and coffee store for some years and we still have a few thousand books in the shop on bookshelves… OMG!

Have a great week!
    Wolf

• January 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

Aren’t we all??? Wow – but you beat me by a couple of thousand.

6. January 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

I read the Xanth Series in High School and loved it – thanks for the warning about this book though, I was just about to start looking for my next book to read and that author was one of the first I was going to look up!

I never really collected any CDs I’ve pretty much always listened to the radio – although there are a few CDs I wish I had….

Happy Tuesday!
    –Trina

• January 27, 2010 at 11:26 am

What kind of authors do you like? Maybe I can recommend a few books – I read a LOT!!! Sometimes, I post reviews here on site.

1. No trackbacks yet.