Advertisements
Home > American Idol, Entertainment > Hey, Kris Allen and Matt Giraud Don’t Want No Middle-Aged Fans!

Hey, Kris Allen and Matt Giraud Don’t Want No Middle-Aged Fans!

May 9, 2010

Here’s how it went down on the twitterverse:

Kris Allen – Hobbies of mine: playing music, hanging with friends, and watching middle aged women dance. Rhythm is nowhere to be found. –> he has since deleted this twat

Matt Giraud – @KrisAllen Ooooooooooooohhh!!!!! Got em. Someone had to say it.

So, basically, if you’re middle-aged, and worse, are rhythmically-challenged – don’t bother showing up at their concerts, okay? Or even shelling out money for their albums or singles. It’s kinda like the TV advertisers – only the 18-25 age groups wanted please! The middle-aged group? they don’t count. And middle-aged women – they’re practically invisible. Or like napalm. DNW!

I mean it’s understandable right? These are two young guys – if you’re up there on stage performing night after night – you want to see young & sexy nubile bodies swaying along with you. Kinda like those sorority girls in the American Idol pit they bus in – oh wait – those girls don’t have any rhythm to save their lives either. LOL (* jeez, okay, the 1st two paragraphs are what’s called sarcasm, people!)

Anyway, that was really stupid, guys. And Matt is doubly stupid for jumping into the fray of dissing that certain age group when he didn’t have to (and no Matt, I don’t appreciate being lectured at either, if you can’t take the heat, don’t make offensive jokes). One of the things women are most sensitive about is age, and way to single out the middle-aged ones (who I firmly believe comprise majority of the AI audience – aside from the tweens) AND who are actually the ones who have the heavy wallets to finance your careers.

Lord knows, with my college debt piling up and being practically penniless, it’s a struggle for me to keep on supporting artists legally. I can be a heavy supporter in say 20 years or so (when I’m happily middle-aged myself). Meantime, it’s a very easy and steep slope towards your friendly neighborhood torrent download site afterall!

ETA : Just to make things perfectly clear, whatever the back story was, Kris and Matt’s random tweets came off to me as rude, insensitive, thoughtless, mean and tactless, not to mention stupid. IMO it is not okay for a public figure to make fun of or mock people, including the segment of the population who are especially mocked and skewered terribly among the AI fanbase. And Kris deleting his tweet with no acknowledgement or explanation just made it worse.

Also, Adam has nothing to do with this post, and I’m tired of Kris/Adam fans bringing him up again and again, therefore any additional comments that even mention him will no longer be approved, but will just be deleted. I won’t even read it, if I see the word ‘Adam’ there, I press delete. Just so you know. * FYI, Using ‘runner up’ instead of ‘Adam’ gets deleted also. Starting now. If you don’t see your comment posted, it’s because Adam was mentioned.

* I’ve been watching the American Idol scene for a long time, and I’ve seen how the older women fans are practically savaged by everyone and called horrible names like sparkly cows etc. If you’ve visited my blog before, I’m a huge Kris supporter, love the album (thought it was the best winners album ever in my review), and I’ve been following all his concerts and triumphs. I was very very disappointed to see that tweet. I’m not some random Kris basher – I’m a supporter who’s disappointed and I felt I needed to call out the stupid tweets.

< CLOSING THE COMMENTS SECTION – I’VE VENTED, YOU’VE VENTED, MOVED ON >

Advertisements
  1. Sofia
    May 10, 2010 at 8:11 am

Amen from a middle aged woman.

2. Chicagogirly
    May 10, 2010 at 8:16 am

The headline here is completely obnoxious and uncalled for…. Yes, these were stupid tweets, but I can’t believe what I’m reading here…. grow-up ladies.

3. Miss Lee
    May 10, 2010 at 8:36 am

Thank you for writing what I felt.

I am not defined by my age or my gender.

I was insulted by the Tweet.

I am a long-time Idol fan who foolishly voted for Kris Allen and bought his record.

And no, he will not see me at one of his concert. But it he did I would be one of the millions of “middle aged” women in American who can dance. I may be over 40 but I’m not dead yet!

4. Akina
    May 10, 2010 at 9:07 am

I can’t believe most of the rubbish written in the comment section. Kris is not hating on anyone, what a bunch of over-sensitive, humourless holeir-than-thou petty people you are(and I am one of his middle aged fans that can’t dance) And all of you who say you arn’t going to support Kris any more or spend money on his music or go to his shows, I doubt you EVER were anyway.
    WDDB – I think you need to go round the block a few more times and learn not to be so sensitive to a young mans observations – and he obviously likes middle aged women because he said one of his hobbies was watching them.

5. Dana
    May 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

Well…Kris had better hang on to every fan he can. He’s going to need them, especially the middle-aged ones who have the money to buy his music. On the other hand, I don’t see much longevity to his career…so maybe it doesn’t matter what he tweets.

6. starla
    May 10, 2010 at 9:28 am

it’s sad how the fanbase which is actually largely responsible for the initial success of these Idol artists is so viciously and cruelly maligned.

Perhaps Kris should think about the fact that his album hasn’t even sold 300K yet and he might attribute that to a lack of middle aged female fans. his mocking of them won’t make them buy his album any quicker.

the constant excuses made for Kris’ lack of tact and oft times mean spirited tweets is beyond tiresome honestly.

I bought kris’ album. I plan to continue to support his music, however I won’t excuse away his thoughtless words and actions. He needs to think about what he says and when he doesn’t think first, be held accountable for his words, just like any other celebrity would be.

Matt, to me has always seemed like a follower. He should’ve wished for some of those middle aged fans, then he wouldn’t have needed the judges save and he would’ve made it past 5th place on idol.

7. Marcus
    May 10, 2010 at 9:43 am

Kris and Matt should keep in mind that their mothers are middle-aged women and think a little harder about what they tweet.

8. awesome
    May 10, 2010 at 10:07 am

I to am also “middle aged” and also a Kris fan. Having said that, I meant to say I WAS a Kris Allen fan. I don’t care who thinks I’m over sensitive, or taking what he said to seriously but I for one will never buy another item sold by Kris or Matt nor will I attend any concert they are involved in. I will also turn the radio off and not request any of their songs. I work hard for my money and would rather give it to charity than to support someone who thinks insulting anyone for any reason is ok. Shows lack of maturity, lack of common sense and lack of brain power. How sad…Of course I’m just one person but this time there may be more who feel as I do…

9. Lisa
    May 10, 2010 at 10:07 am

Wow, the vitriol has taken an even darker turn. OK, I’ll pack up my cards and go home. I thought I could reason with reasonable women. But I guess this is not the place. Thanks for allowing me to play a couple of hands.

10. ILoveYourSite
    May 10, 2010 at 10:56 am

Why are people fighting over this silly thing? Kris made a comment as we all do, sometimes out of context, which is left up to our imagination or emotions, as well as to criticism. He did not offer an explanation for his remark.
    It is Mother’s Day of May 9, 2010: with over 100 comments on a matter of an American Idol’s (perhaps insensitive) tweet —move on with your lives. Calm yourselves and listen to some music of your own choosing. It really isn’t that damn deep.

Comment pages