Home > Uncategorized > Weekly Meme: Something Old, Something New

Weekly Meme: Something Old, Something New

February 24, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

The weekly Booking Through Thursday question of the week (via the Booking Through Thursday blog) is:

All other things being equal–do you prefer used books? Or new books? (The physical speciman, that is, not the title.) Does your preference differentiate between a standard kind of used book, and a pristine, leather-bound copy?

[I’m going to have to answer this question in the past tense, since I’ve pretty much gone (almost) 100% digital ever since I had my Kindle and also discovered that I could read library eBooks on my iPod Touch. Right now, all the books I read are in a forever pristine condition, given that they’re digital eBooks. I hardly ever read physical books anymore.]

But getting back to the question of do I prefer new books or used books — honestly, I’ve never really had a preference for either. A book is just a book to me, I guess that’s why I made the transition to digital books so easily. I’m not a particularly nostalgic person – I’ve never been one to go on about how books look on a shelf or how they smell or what it feels like to turn pages – what has always been important to me has been the author’s words – the stories and characters. Can’t recall ever being particular about the condition of the actual book I’m reading (as long as it’s still readable and not too heavy).

1. goitaly
    February 25, 2011 at 5:04 am

You are right, it is the story that counts. I have a Kindle and I do most of my reading on that now. However, Kindle+bathtub=a bad combination, so I like paper books for that or the beach. And I admit, I prefer new books.

• February 25, 2011 at 8:06 am

My mom bought one of those waterproof covers so she could take her Kindle to the beach. I just use a ziplock bag myself! 🙂

2. February 25, 2011 at 7:27 am

I’m afraid I am one of those fighting the transition as you can see by reading my response.

3. February 25, 2011 at 10:14 am

I haven’t went totally ditigal yet, there is still something comforting about holding the book in my hands. I do admit digital is great for accepting review books from authors or publishers though.

• February 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

Do you read the ebooks on your computer or a dedicated eReader?

4. February 25, 2011 at 11:41 am

We couldn’t be more opposite if we tried! 😉 Thanks for visiting Proud Book Nerd and sharing your response! 🙂

5. Kat
    February 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm

We differ in the sense that I’m a very sentimental person when it comes to my books. I’ve gone digital, but only partly. I get an ebook and if I find it good enough, I try to find a paperback copy. 🙂

Comment pages